Despite the advancement in advertising technology, large format printing is still one of the most popular advertising techniques.
From artists displaying their work to businesses that are promoting their brands via promotional banners, signage, artwork display and more – large format printing can be very effective in capturing the attention of the audience.
However, for this advertising technique to work, you must create a high-quality print. If you are a business looking to advertise, below is a look at some of the top tips on how to get the best wide format printing results.
1. Use the right large format printers
There are several types of printers that are available for various printing purposes. The choice of a printer to use, however, depends on the specific type of printing service you need, and the results you desire. For large format printing, you will need to choose a company that has wide format printers-read about them here, which can successfully print the large-size banners you require.
However, for the best printing results, you need to consider more than just a wide format printer. The printer used should:
• Have sufficient run length – run length basically refers to the number of copies that need to be printed. If you are looking to produce several prints, the printer you chose should be fast enough to produce the required copies within the required time, and without compromising the quality.
• Support the print size – there are different types of wide format printers, depending on the size of the prints. Therefore, when choosing a printing company (I usually use SAS Graphics at https://www.sas-graphics.com/) you should choose one with a printer that can accommodate your desired print size(s)
• Handle the printing material – there are different types of printers depending on the printing material used. The printer you choose should, therefore, be designed for the printing material used to ensure that you get the best possible print quality.
• Design and finishing features – some advanced printers come with integrated design features that help to select the most suitable print layout, as well as finishing options to increase the quality of the print. With these features, you can be able to greatly improve your final prints far beyond the standard print quality.
2. Use the right printing materials
Asides from the printer you choose, the final look of your print will depend largely on the printing materials used. If you use high-quality printing material, you can expect to receive great results in terms of print quality. Likewise, if you use low-quality materials, the final print quality will be quite poor.
Aside from quality, the printing material used also has a huge bearing on the look (design) of the print. This is because different materials react differently with ink, thus leading to quite noticeable differences in the final print. For example, some materials, for example, paper, will absorb the ink, causing the colours to wash out – as a result, images, and graphics will not be as sharp. On the other hand, some materials such as self-adhesive vinyl, which SAS recommends – https://www.sas-graphics.com/products/self-adhesive-film/ will allow the ink to cure properly, thus making the images and graphics appear colourful and sharp.
Therefore, when preparing your project for printing, you should carefully select a material that will offer you the best print quality. The material you choose should also be durable and suitable for the environment you are using it in so as to guarantee the longevity of your prints. For example, if you plan to mount your printed banners outdoors, you should choose a material that is waterproof, dustproof, can withstand the UV rays of the sun, and other environmental elements.
3. Hire a company with skilled staff
Printing is not just about the printers and the paper (printing material). The printing skills applied have a huge effect on the final results of the print. This is especially the case when it comes to large format printing, which is more complex than simple DIY printing at home or work. Therefore, if you want to get the best possible prints, you should hire a large format printing company that has knowledgeable and skilled staff.
To start with, the staff should have the necessary operational skills needed to operate the printing machines, and in case of problems, troubleshoot and fix the issue. The staff should be adept at using various computer and printing machine software, for example, calculating the size of the final print, choosing the layout, etc.
On top of that, the staff should have necessary editing and finishing skills such as colour correction, adjustment of brightness and contrast, adding of graphics, cropping of images, red-eye removal, adding effects, and other finishing touches. The more skilled the staff is in these finishing touches, the better the results you can expect – as they will be able to bring out richer colours, attractive graphics, and eye-catching effects that will mesmerize the audience.
4. Use high-quality original images/graphics
You might use the best printers, high-quality printing material, and even find the best printing staff, but the results of your prints will only be as good as the original images. This is especially the case with large format printing where the image is blown up in size. Therefore, if you want a print that will wow your audience, you must make sure that the images and graphics you are using are high-quality.
If you are printing images, the pixel count should be high enough to produce a pleasing final print, which means using a high-quality camera and with the correct settings. If possible, you should make sure that the photo(s) are taken by a professional to guarantee high-quality images. You should also stress on the same level of quality when it comes to graphics – for example, business logos. As a result, you should make sure that the graphics and images are designed by a skilled professional, which will guarantee their quality, and consequently, high-quality prints when printed.
5. Use high-quality/recommended ink
When it comes to printing, the ink – tips here: http://www.hackworth.co/different-inks-used-wide-format-printing/ used is usually a factor that is overlooked. However, it is just as important as various other factors that affect printing results. This is especially the case with wide format printing, where the ink you use can affect colour fluctuations, and consequently the look of the final prints.
Therefore, during the printing process, you should make sure that the right type of ink is used to guarantee the best results. The ink you choose should be:
• Recommended for the printer used
• Appropriate for the printing material (substrate) used
• Dry (or cure) fast and without destroying the quality of the prints
• Provide durable results – for example, when printing banners to be displayed outdoors, it is best to choose a water-resistant
General Conclusion and final tips
Large format printing is a great way to advertise your business/brand or artwork. However, you can only be able to attract the attention of the target audience if the printing results are great. With the above printing tips, you can be able to ensure that you get the best printing results, which will capture your audience, and give you an edge over your competitors. Let me know how you get on…